CSS Navigation Menus Css3Menu.com

2017 Final Assessement Roll
http://www.co.chautauqua.ny.us/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/2212



Sheridan Town Board
Richard Feinen
Charles Dillenburg
Colleen Yerico
Thomas Wik

A Glimpse of Sheridan, New York
The land which ultimately became the Town of Sheridan was initially inhabited by Native Americans.  The Treaty of Big Tree, signed in 1979, moved the Seneca Indians to the Cattaraugus Reservation and opened the area to speculators, followed quickly by settlers from the east.  On August 1804, Francis Webber, William Webber, and Hezadiah Stebbins made purchases of land in Township 6, Range 11 from the Holland Land Company.  In subsequent years, many more settlers followed.  In 1827, the town was formed legally by taking 32 lots from the town of Pomfret and 35 lots from the town of Hanover.  Early publications about the credit Nathaniel Gray, though thought a great admirer of the poet, playwright, and politician, Richard Brainsley Sheridan, with promoting the name.

Agriculture became the major industry in the town.  For many years Sheridan was known for its production of fruits and vegetables, especially grapes.  The raising of sheep, cattle, and horses was another profitable venture in the 1800s.

Situated on the shores of Lake Erie, Sheridan was home to at least 26 ship captains who sailed the Great Lakes in the 1800s and early 1900s.  The first to be noted, Capt. Zephaniah Perkins was well respected.  In 1815 Haven Brigham built a 40-ton schooner called the Kingbird, for Capt. Perkins.

Sheridan is still primarily agricultural with several fresh fruit and vegetable stands, vineyards and wineries, greenhouses producing seasonal flowers and plants.  It is also the home of several small businesses, with some larger corporations on Progress Drive.  The Chautauqua County Airport at Dunkirk is in the Town of Sheridan as is the lovely retirement home St. Columban's-on-the-Lake.

Information:
2773 Route 20
PO Box 116
Sheridan, NY 14135